Once you have decided to get an electric razor, the first choice you have to make is whether to get a rotary model or a foil model. The choice is getting a little harder to make as advances in the technology of foil shavers eats away at the areas rotary shavers enjoyed an advantage. Just a few years ago, you had to get a rotary razor if your beard is thick, if it grows at odd angles, or if you don’t shave every day. Now, foil razors are getting better at handling all these cases while still giving you the closer, smoother shave foils have always provided. The Panasonic ES-LA63-S Arc4 Men’s Electric Shaver Wet/Dry with Multi-Flex Pivoting Head continues this trend.
This razor features a very fast 14,000 CPM linear motor drive. This means that the blades cut your hairs instead of yanking them out. Pulled out hairs are a big contributor to ingrown hairs which is often a very painful condition.
The Multi-Flex pivoting head ensures proper contact between your face and the foils. The foils and blades are made of stainless steel so they are very durable. The blades have a 30 degree cutting edge to cut cleanly and stay sharp longer.
The shaver is powered by a Li-Ion battery for extra long life. It charges fully in an hour and gives you 45 minutes of shaving time. Most users say this gives them a good week of shaves between charges so you can travel with it without having to pack the AC adapter along too. Travel with the razor is also made easier with the power switch lock out to prevent accidental activation in your suitcase so your charge is still intact when you reach your destination.
Features and Benefits
• The four blade design with a 30 degree cutting edge ensures a perfect shave every time.
• The 14,000 CPM motor makes sure the blades are moving fast enough that your hair is cut, not pulled.
• The Multi-Flex pivoting head means that the foils always maintain the correct contact with your face so you get the best possible shave.
• The Ultra Thin outer foil makes the shave as smooth as possible with an electric razor.
• A built in LCD display keeps you informed about how much charge is left and when it is time to plug it in.
• The waterproof design allows you to shave in the shower if you need to free up a few extra minutes each morning and makes the clean up as simple as running it under the faucet.
• The Sonic Vibration Cleaning system helps ensure your razor stays perfectly clean without the expense of cleaning fluids and without taking up extra counter space with a cleaning station.
• A pop up trimmer allows you to shape your side burns, mustache, and beard easily without having to get a separate trimmer.
• The power button has a lock out feature for travelers so your razor doesn’t come on in you suitcase and have a empty battery when you get to your destination.
The reviews for the ES-LA63-S are very positive. It was given five stars by 66% of users and 85% rated it four stars or better. This shows that this is an item that does its job well. The shave is as good or better than expected and there were few complaints.
The ability of this razor to cut through several days of growth and still leave smooth skin behind was praised by reviewers. Unlike older foil razors, you are not reduced to digging out a blade if you miss a day or two of shaving. This has always been an advantage enjoyed by rotary type shavers but the advantage is fading.
Also unlike most foil razors, the ES-LA63-S is reported to be very effective with very thick facial hair. It also worked much better than expected on beards that grow out in multiple directions. For a long time, men with beards that don’t grow straight had to go with a rotary shaver as foil style shavers worked very poorly with hair that didn’t grow out straight.
The high speed motor helps by making sure that your beard is cut instead of pulled out. This reduces both the immediate pain and the problem of ingrown hairs in the future. The charge was sufficient for about a week of shaving allowing short trips without having to pack the AC adapter.
Cleaning the shaver was also called out for special praise. Using dish soap, the built in cleaning mode, and a running faucet produces as clean a razor as proprietary cleaning systems without the expense or the wear on the foils caused by many cleaning systems.
The biggest complaint was that the width of the head makes it hard to reach some areas on your neck. This is the price required by the four blade design and a necessary tradeoff for the smooth shave offered by four blades. The Multi-Flex pivoting head does help reduce this problem compared to the models without it.
Another common complaint is the fact that the razor will not operate when plugged in. This is a safety feature and you will not find a waterproof razor that works while plugged in. There are too many unintelligent people in this world that would try to use it in the shower while plugged in so we all have to give up a little to protect them from themselves.
The motor noise is higher pitched than other comparable razors. This is due to the extra speed of the motor and there is little that can be done about it. But it does make the razor pull less so fi you can stand the noise, it is a positive tradeoff.
With great reviews and great performance, the Panasonic ES-LA63-S Arc4 Men’s Electric Shaver Wet/Dry with Multi-Flex Pivoting Head is an excellent shaver and an easy recommendation.